Welcome!!

My Little Readers is a place where you can learn about our family's learning adventures, techniques to help build literacy, and ideas for activities to engage in with your children.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bookworm Gardens

I can't even believe a month has gone by since my last post.  Time has been flying by!  During this past month we've been having lots of fun being outdoors most days and I've also been tackling some necessary housekeeping projects.  There are so many things that have been pushed to the side for the past two years as I was pregnant (and sick), then we moved ten days before delivery of our twins and then those two beautiful babies came into the world and have been keeping us busy (along with their brother) ever since.  It's been a really slow process getting our house in order since we moved almost two years ago (I can't believe it's been that long!) but I am determined to make some significant progress. So I've been tackling some of the projects that I'm finally making a priority and I'm happy to report that although progress has been slow, I'm actually seeing some decent results.  Mainly I've been purging unnecessary items from our house, especially from our basement, and I've been working on organizing everything that needs to be organized.  I really want to get our house in order by September when Snootz starts 4K at home and Kitty Cat and Tootsie Pop start "2K".  I feel the only way we will be successful is if we have our materials organized and our house decluttered.  We also need a daily schedule that works for all of us but that's another topic. 

Anyways, I want to tell you about this awesome place we visited last month.  We took a mini-vacation as a family over Memorial Day weekend to Sheboygan, Wisconsin.  We went to a wonderful little place for children that's located on the UW-Sheboygan campus called Bookworm Gardens.  It is the perfect place to take young children where they can connect nature with literature.  There are different themed sections of the garden that have been created around various children's storybooks.  It was a dream come true for me and our children :) Seriously, I loved it and I even think my husband enjoyed himself!  


The grounds are beautifully kept and it is such a peaceful place, even with all the children milling around.  They have books that can be taken out of little cubby holes in various places throughout the garden and there are plenty of spots to sit down and read a book.  Of course, our children wanted to keep exploring and playing but Snootz did actually sit and enjoy a book for a while and we all sat down for story time and were able to listen to books that were read aloud by a volunteer.  And that's one of the amazing things......the garden was created and is kept up by donations and volunteers. There's not even an admission or parking fee charged!  So, if you are ever in the Sheboygan, Wisconsin area I encourage you to visit Bookworm Gardens with your children.  It's a hidden gem!

Main Entrance
Hansel & Gretel House
Snootz sitting and reading in The Magic Tree House
Enjoying Story Time
Dinosaur Bones
Snootz the Paleontologist
Horton Hatches the Egg
Washing Harry the Dirty Dog
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog

Harold and the Purple Crayon
The Magic School Bus
Winnie the Pooh

One Leaf Rides the Wind


No comments:

Post a Comment