Welcome!!

My Little Readers is a place where you can learn about our family's learning adventures, techniques to help build literacy, and ideas for activities to engage in with your children.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Making Soap Clouds

We did a super inexpensive, easy and fun "experiment" last week with Ivory soap.  I got the idea from Money Saving Mom and I'm so glad we tried it.  We put a bar of Ivory soap in the microwave and turned the microwave on for a couple of minutes to watch the bar of soap grow and grow and grow into puffy white clouds.  We actually did this activity two days in a row because Snootz had so much fun with it.  The first time I let the children play in the bathtub with the big cloud of soap and the second time I let them play with it at the table.  It was fun for them to feel the change in texture and see how crumbly the soap could get.  Unfortunately, there was a huge mess to clean up when they played with it at the table, so I would recommend taking your soap cloud outside to play with or let your children enjoy it during bath time.

This is a really inexpensive activity that could actually be free if you have an Ivory coupon that you pair with a sale.  I bought a 3-bar pack from Target and since I had a coupon for $1.00 I only paid about $0.20 for the 3-pack.  I also love that this was a quick, easy and fun filler activity that didn't require any planning or preparation ahead of time.

*Please note: Use ONLY Ivory bar soap - apparently no other brand of soap works for this.  Also, be aware that the soap may be very hot when it first comes out of the microwave.




With a fork and a spoon in hand Snootz looks like he is going to try eating it
but thankfully no one put any soap in their mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment