Welcome!!

My Little Readers is a place where you can learn about our family's learning adventures, techniques to help build literacy, and ideas for activities to engage in with your children.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mixing Colors with Fingerpaints

Rather than bore you with all the reasons why I abandoned my blog for over half a year and now decided to post something, I will just say that I am going to try really hard to post more often.  Looking back at the post from September I can't even believe how much our children have grown.  I want to do a better job of documenting our journey and if some of you can gain something from it that's even better.  Last year I felt like I needed to make my blog *awesome* but I decided that even if I don't have the time to make it real cute and link to other blogs I at least want something that our family can look back on and remember all the fun we had learning together.  I've taken lots of pictures of our learning journey over these last months but never posted anything and I regret that.  But rather than look back I am going to move forward and talk about what we are doing right now.  So here goes......

This week we have talked about colors and how mixing two colors together can make a different color.  I have read the following books to the kids in order to help them understand the concept better (a review for Snootz).


We just used Primary Colors for finger painting and I told them they could experiment to see what colors they could make with those three colors.

Three blobs of paint on the paper.

And the experimenting begins.  This was the girls first time doing real fingerpainting and they really enjoyed it.

They did a great job keeping the paint on the paper.  Of course it wasn't perfect but overall they did well and more importantly they recognized that they were making new colors on their papers.

I love this painting that Snootz did.  You can't really tell here but it ended up looking like a big heart with a handprint right in the top middle of it.

I have some other color experiments planned with the kids and we'll see how those go!!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like the kids had alot of fun with this! Cute! You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah!! You are the first one to comment on my blog! I think you should get a prize or something! :)

      Delete