Welcome!!

My Little Readers is a place where you can learn about our family's learning adventures, techniques to help build literacy, and ideas for activities to engage in with your children.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dice and Domino Math Games


The weather was unseasonably warm and beautiful this week so we spent a lot of time outside.  Today we spent the morning indoors so that we could do some math and reading activities.  I had found some free dice and domino math games over at Confessions of a Homeschooler that I wanted to play with Snootz.  He and I had bought some large foamy dice at the dollar store a couple of weeks ago and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try them out.  So last night I printed the sheets off and had everything ready to go for the morning.  Whenever I prepare materials ahead of time the day goes a lot smoother and we are able to get more accomplished.  And I am usually a lot less stressed rather than trying to print things off and get materials together with four grabby hands (Tootsie Pop and Kitty Cat) grabbing at paper and materials, running off with things, ripping, crumpling........well, you get the idea.

So Snootz saw the sheets and dice on the table when he woke up in the morning and was so excited to give the games a try.  We ended up playing two of the games out of the pack, Preschool Yahtzee (using one die) and Elementary Yahtzee (the sum of the dice) and Snootz enjoyed and did well with both.  He had no trouble adding the dice together, sometimes counting the dots to figure out the sum and other times doing the math in his head.  I first introduced addition and subtraction to him maybe 6 or 8 months ago so he is already familiar with the concept.  See my notes below regarding my process for teaching him.  



Snootz and I had a lot of fun with the dice game and I look forward to completing some of the other games from the pack with him soon.  I would recommend those titled "preschool" games for any child who can easily count up to 6, and the "elementary" games for any child who is ready for some basic addition.  The domino games include addition, subtraction and multiplication but we'll be holding off on the multiplication sheets until Snootz is ready for them.


***TIP***  I have found it easiest to teach addition and subtraction using small objects, such as small wooden blocks (my favorite), Legos, crackers or cereal in conjunction with flashcards.  Here are the steps I follow for addition:

  1. Pick a flashcard and read it together.  I have Snootz pick a flashcard from the deck and ask him to read the equation we are trying to solve. I provide assistance if he needs it.
  2. Count out the appropriate number of blocks for each number in the equation. I ask Snootz to count the appropriate number of blocks for each number we are adding together and put them into two separate piles.  
  3. Combine the two groups of blocks and count them.  We move the blocks into one big pile and I ask Snootz to count the total number of blocks.  
  4. Verbally repeat what we just did.  Once Snootz figures out the total, I always follow up by repeating back the process we just followed.  "We had 3 blocks in one pile and 4 blocks in another pile.  When added them, putting them all together in one big pile, and now we have 7 blocks total". 
  5. Have your child say the equation outloud.  I ask Snootz to tell me the equation we just solved.  He'll usually refer back to the flashcard as a reminder.  "Three plus four equals seven!".
For subtraction we follow the same method of reading the flashcard out loud and then using blocks to work out the problem.  We start out with one pile of blocks and then remove the number of blocks we are subtracting.  We often put them in the "trash" (the fabric bag that holds the blocks) but if using food you can have fun eating whatever you are subtracting.  Snootz then counts the number of blocks that are left and I verbally repeat the process we followed.  "We started with 8 blocks in our pile and we subtracted 2, or put 2 in the trash, and now we have 6 blocks left."  I then ask him to tell me the equation we just solved.  


I always try to keep it fun and present it as a game and once Snootz is no longer interested we pack it up and put it away.  He is so young that there is no reason to push it on him.  

If you try any of the dice or dominoes games with your child(ren) please leave a comment and let me know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment