Welcome!!

My Little Readers is a place where you can learn about our family's learning adventures, techniques to help build literacy, and ideas for activities to engage in with your children.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

So we begin..........

Maybe my first blog post should be something extraordinary but I can't think of anything extraordinary so I will just begin. The reason for this blog.....right now my intent is to document the learning of our three precious children who are growing so fast. After deciding to homeschool next school year (unofficially because our little guy will only be in 4k) I figured it would be beneficial for others to see what we are working on and the learning that is happening in our home. And it will be a good way for us to look back and see our children's progress. I want to begin blogging before September because there is already a lot of daily learning that takes place in our home. I'd also like to share some of the activities that we are doing in case anyone else is interested in trying them with their own children.  And lastly, I will share any tips or tricks that I use when working with my three little ones.  I have really appreciated reading other blogs for the past year to gain knowledge on frugal living, saving money, finding activity ideas for the children, learning about homeschooling and finding encouragement from other stay-at-home moms who are battling some of the same daily struggles that I am.  I've seen other bloggers use nicknames for their children and I've decided I'd like to do that as well. So you will see lots of fun posts about Snootz (age 4), Tootsie Pop (age 18 mos) and Kitty Cat (age 18 mos).

It seems appropriate to focus on the reading that we did today since, after all, this blog is called My Little Readers.  It was a pretty laid back day and mostly the children just enjoyed playing together. Snootz is great at creating games for us to play, such as finding our way through the maze of toilet paper that the girls unrolled or making the colored bean bags into a pyramid and getting extra "points" for arranging them a certain way.  In addition to playing, we also read lots of books.  We received some "new" Sesame Street books in the mail and the girls especially loved looking at those. They paged through them quite a bit and they pointed to the pictures saying "that!" which means I need to tell them who the characters are even though they already know. Snootz read through the books and was excited that one of the books had numbers all the way up to 100, his favorite number!  I purchased the books because Tootsie Pop and Kitty Cat LOVE the Sesame Street characters and we read the books they have over and over and over again.  I wanted to have some books that focus on the alphabet, numbers and vocabulary.  So I decided on the following:

I've found half.com to be a great place to go for books and that's where I ordered these particular books. They show some wear but the children didn't notice or care so they'll be perfect for us. I will share my strategy for saving money on books in a future post.

So, here are my Little Readers enjoying their new books.
Tootsie Pop

Kitty Cat

Snootz

Do your children love any particular character books?  Are there any character books you have found to be helpful for them to learn their alphabet, numbers and/or vocabulary?

No comments:

Post a Comment